Stations of the Cross|
Each class created art work for two stations of the cross. The whole school then went over to our church, were Year 2, 4 and 5 led a liturgy based on the 15 stations. The congregation was invited and commented on the lovely service.
St Mary's Church, Kells|
The Parish of St Mary’s was originally part of the Benedictine Parish of St Begh’s, however, as the district of Kells developed it became apparent that a Mass centre was needed and on November 27, 1927 a temporary chapel called St Mary’s was opened.
Over the years extensions were carried out to the school and the presbytery was built. Finally in 1961 the church as it stands today was completed.
Once St Mary’s was complete the Catholic diocese could concentrate on developing a new mission at Mirehouse – St Benedict’s, which has also celebrated its 50th anniversary.
The interior of the church has been re-ordered a few times over the past 50 years, mainly to take into account changes following the Second Vatican Council in the 1960s.
The presbytery can be contacted on 01946 692757.
Here is Father Aelred Grugan with Bishop Michael Campbell when he came to bless our new ICT suite.