Rapid Catch Up - Phonics
Little Wandle - Rapid Catch Up
At St Mary's we use Little Wandle Rapid Catch-up for children who are in Year 2- 6 and have gaps in their phonics knowledge. (Year 2 after Christmas)
The Little Wandle Rapid Catch-up programme is for children in Year 2 and above who are not reading at the expected level for their age. It mirrors the main phonics programme but has been created to help children catch up quickly, so it has a faster pace.
The children read phonically decodable books that are matched to their phonics level but also have age appropriate content.
- Children in Year 2 to 6 are assessed through:
- the Rapid Catch-up initial assessment to quickly identify any gaps in their phonic knowledge and plan appropriate teaching
- the Rapid Catch-up summative assessments to assess progress and inform teaching
- the Rapid Catch-up fluency assessments when children are reading the Phase 5 set 3, 4 and 5 books for age 7+.
- The fluency assessments measure children’s accuracy and reading speed in short
one-minute assessments. They also assess when children are ready to exit the Rapid Catch-up programme, which is when they read the final fluency assessment at 90+ words per minute.